Electrolux halts Egypt production
Stockholm, August 15, 2013
Home appliances maker Electrolux said on Thursday it had halted all production in Egypt, where it has around 7,000 employees, due to increasing unrest in the country.
"(Electrolux) chose to discontinue production yesterday afternoon through today," said Daniel Frykholm, spokesman at the Swedish group.
"In light of the unrest we have been reducing activities on a day to day basis. We evaluate the security situation and then decide whether people should go to work."
He said the group would next review the decision to halt production on Saturday.
Electrolux's turnover in Egypt amounted to more than 2 billion crowns ($308 million) last year, out of total sales of about 110 billion crowns. -Reuters
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Yokogawa wins big order for Saudi desal plant
- Alba on track for record year
- App-controlled car booking to launch in Riyadh
- Bike sharing system launched at Gulf Traffic
- UAE-China trade surges 14pc
- Oman Oil Company unit plans industrial gas JV
- Etihad Cargo implements XML standard
- DI subsidiaries shine at ‘Made in UAE’ expo
- GAC unveils new hull cleaning solution
- Cathay to operate cargo from Al Maktoum airport