New district for design industry in Dubai
, June 9, 2013
Dubai's fashion, design and luxury sectors will be housed in a new district to be created exclusively for their development, according to a report.
The Dubai Design District will become a commercial hub for design industry organisations, brands, and supporting enterprises, Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai was quoted as saying in the Gulf News report.
The new district, which will be built adjacent to the Business Bay area, is expected to be the most connected fashion district in the world, with Dubai being only eight hours flight time from 90 per cent of the countries in the world, the report said.
Commercial and retail facilities for established and emerging designers, design institutes, waterfront promenade, convention centre, event venues and related academic institutions, will be a part of the creative community in the district, it said.
The venture seeks to increase the number of local and regional designers who are attaining international distribution and accolades, said the report.
“UAE nationals and expatriates alike are showing a keen interest not just in consuming fashion, design, and luxury goods and services, but also in the development of their own design and creative skills,” it reported according to a statement issued by the Government of Dubai Media Office.
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Dubai bus fare cheapest among top cities
- DHL Express boosts Mideast fleet
- DNV to re-certifiy Drydocks World services
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Non-oil sectors ‘biggest contributors to UAE economy’
- Alba educates customers on best practices
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift