Sabic products 'to revolutionise pipelines industry'
Riyadh, March 13, 2013
The Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (Sabic) said it has begun manufacturing thermoplastic grades at its affiliates in Jubail and Yanbu and in Gelsenkirchen, Germany, which could revolutionize the domestic pipelines sector with environmentally responsible applications ranging from transporting potable water to gas and sewage.
The company is currently engaged with the local authorities, seeking to encourage them to construct pipelines for potable water distribution systems using these plastic grades to enhance service standards for the community.
The plastic resins go by the technical name of Bimodal High Density Polyethylene (HDPE).
The Sabic-branded HDPE pipe demonstrates the company’s sustainability efforts by allowing clean transportation of drinking water, avoiding soil contamination from sewage, besides several other advantages such as providing viable solutions for future challenges of conveying energy and gas, clean drinking water, and waste water.
Explaining the product quality, Khaled Al-Mana, the executive VP of Sabic Polymers Strategic Business Unit, said that plastic pipes were safe, cost-effective and earthquake-resistant with good tensile strength.
"The specially-designed pipe grade is light-weight and as a result, requires much less energy to produce and transport. “These are benefits that eventually flow down to the community in keeping with our commitment to develop products and applications that respond to societal needs,” he said.
Sami Al-Osaimi, the general manager, Global HDPE Business Unit, Sabic said, "Our HDPE range offers exceptional value and is superior in many ways to similar imported products. They deliver exceptional low sag performance for large-diameter pipes and pressure pipes with a low standard dimension ratio."
Sabic, he said, has a history of responsibly manufacturing products, supported by 18 global technology and innovation centers that provide significant and measureable advantages to customers, end users and the community.-TradeArabia News Service
Sabic is among the world’s market leaders in the production of polyethylene, polypropylene and other advanced thermoplastics, glycols, methanol and fertilizers.
The company's businesses are grouped into chemicals, polymers, performance chemicals, fertilizers, metals and innovative plastics. It has significant research resources with 18 dedicated technology & innovation facilities in Saudi Arabia, the US, the Netherlands, Spain, Japan, India, China and South Korea.-TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan
- Milaha profits jump 14pc to top $260m
- BIC, Al Zayani renew partnership
- Dubai Metro to open 2 stations Saturday
- Top petchem firms back UAE plastics events