DHL breaks ground on massive Dubai complex
Dubai, March 9, 2013
DHL, one of the world’s leading logistics companies, officially broke ground on its Dh100 million ($27.2 million) Express ground operations facility at the site within Meydan’s Racecourse district, a prime location just minutes from the heart of Dubai.
Covering a land area of 185,844 sq ft, it is DHL's largest facility in the Middle East and North Africa region, said a statement from the logistics giant.
The massive complex boasts of a 78,285 sq ft indoor sorting and loading area and 46,648 sq ft office which will also serve as DHL’s new head office complete with the latest automated handling equipment and communication technology systems designed to bolster the efficiency of current systems to enhance speed of service and reduce transit shipment times for customers importing and exporting within the UAE.
The facility also has outstanding environmentally friendly features, such as energy efficient management systems, security, indoors loading and supply chain equipment, it added.
Frank-Uwe Ungerer, the country manager for DHL Express UAE, said, “The new facility is a logistics milestone in DHL’s Mena network and we are extremely proud to be partnering with Meydan to launch our largest ground operations facility in the region.”
Along with the DHL partner MGE Middle East General Enterprise, the new facility will serve to enhance DHL’s competitive logistical performance due to its strategic location, hitech features and capabilities and best in class handling processes all within one new modern facility, he stated.
"As the region’s economy goes from strength to strength this new facility marks not only a milestone in the growth of DHL but also of the UAE economy. Since DHL first began operations in 1976, our growth has mirrored that of the UAE," remarked Frank-Uwe Ungerer.
"DHL’s latest investment will help to further consolidate the global connectivity of the UAE by connecting the Middle East to DHL’s global network for at least the next 20 years, and thereby ensuring continued growth through improved transit times and network reliability. This outstanding investment will further cement our leadership position in terms of connections, convenience and cost-effectiveness,” he observed.
Speaking about the partnership, Saeed Humaid Al Tayer, the chairman of Meydan said: “We are very pleased to have cemented this important commercial partnership with DHL, a globally trusted brand. Their major distribution facility will bring tangible improvements and benefits to the entire commercial infrastructure of Dubai."
Meydan, he stated, shares the same principles of strategic investment, innovation and commitment to the future of the UAE’s economic growth and continued success.
"This is also an important milestone for us as the first major commercial development on Meydan real estate/property, selected by DHL for its prime location, ready infrastructure and unparalleled access. We look forward with confidence to a strong and lasting partnership," he added.
DHL has been a pioneer in the Middle East logistics industry for more than 30 years and currently has 261 service centers and service points across 19 countries in the region and employs over 4,400 employees across the Middle East.
The new facility is due to be completed in the third quarter of 2014 and on completion, DHL’s expansion will meet that of the growing needs of businesses in the region to offer faster access to international markets, said Frank-Uwe Ungerer.-TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan