DP World port sets milestone in vehicle handling
Dubai, December 18, 2012
Global marine terminal operator DP World has announced that its flagship Jebel Ali Port has achieved a new milestone, handling more than 500,000 vehicles in less than 12 months.
This translates into almost one vehicle imported, exported or re-exported every minute of the day, 24x7.
Achieved in the first 49 weeks of this year, the record exceeds the peak levels of 2008 when the number of vehicles handled through the port for the full year was 479,000.
Mohammed Al Muallem, senior vice president and managing director, DP World, UAE Region, said: “DP World is proud that our flagship Jebel Ali Port continues to play its full role as the premier gateway to the GCC region. The record number of vehicles that have passed through the port’s facility for roll-on roll-off (Ro-Ro) vehicle carriers reinforces the growth message for the UAE and the wider region that we are hearing from economic commentators such as the IMF.
“We congratulate the management and employees at the General Cargo Terminal on an excellent job done in handling 500,000 vehicles.”
General Cargo facilities at Jebel Ali include 30 berths and a total storage area of over 1.3 million sq m, comprising 1.2 million sq m of open storage and 100,000 sq m of covered space.
Tariq Bin Khalifa, director – General Cargo, DP World, UAE Region, said: “Jebel Ali’s strength lies in the high degree of specialisation and operational efficiencies we offer in handling diverse kinds of cargo.
“By handling over half a million vehicles in less than a full calendar year our Ro-Ro terminal has once again proved its world class capabilities and the importance DP World UAE Region continues to give to general cargo throughput alongside our container handling business.”
DP World is expanding the capacity of Jebel Ali Port, with a brand new Container Terminal 3, and the expansion of Container Terminal 2, which are set to take total capacity of the port to 19 million TEU (twenty foot equivalent container units) by 2014.
In the first nine months of 2012 DP World, UAE Region, handled almost 10 million TEU, 4.6 per cent ahead of the same period last year. – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan
- Milaha profits jump 14pc to top $260m
- BIC, Al Zayani renew partnership
- Dubai Metro to open 2 stations Saturday
- Top petchem firms back UAE plastics events
- DGCX, China’s DCE launch plastics futures