BASF opens hitech plant in Bahrain
Manama, December 12, 2012
BASF, one of the leading chemical companies in the world, on Wednesday opened its production plant for customer specific antioxidant blend (CSB), the largest facility of its kind worldwide, in Bahrain.
This new facility, based at Bahrain International Investment Park (BIIP), will provide local production and services to the fast growing polymer market in the Middle East with special focus on key customers in the countries of the GCC, said a statement from the German company.
This comes in addition to the existing manufacturing agreement for CSB with Astra Polymer in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which has been extended earlier this year, it added.
With this investment BASF Plastic Additives continues to strengthen its position as the leading partner in plastic additives for the plastic processing industry worldwide and shows its strong commitment to support the growth of the polymer industry in the GCC.
Speaking at the launch ceremony, Michael Heinz, the member of the BASF board of executive directors, said, "The investment in this new site demonstrates our steadfast commitment to support growing industries in the Middle East, while at the same time setting standards with regard to quality, safety and employee training."
The CSBs are additives-blends individually tailored to meet individual customer needs and are an integral part of the portfolio BASF offers to the plastics industry, he added.
Kamal bin Ahmed, Minister of Transportation and the acting chief executive of the Bahrain Economic Development Board, said: "We are delighted to welcome BASF, a leading international company, to Bahrain. Large manufacturing firms like these are playing an increasingly important role in our economy and will be a significant part of our plan to create sustainable long term economic growth and jobs."
John Frijns, the head of Plastic Additives Europe/EAWA, stressed the necessity of local structures: "As BASF, we are committed to accompany the growth in the region with technical and flexible supply solutions through local production."
The plastic additives business of BASF is a leading manufacturer, supplier and innovation partner of additives and pigments for the plastics industry such as ultraviolet (UV) light stabilizers, antioxidants and process stabilizers, organic and inorganic pigments, effect pigments, and other additives.
The new facility is part of a strong antioxidants production network comprising Asia, Europe and the Americas, which will be further optimized once the new capacity comes on stream, he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan
- Milaha profits jump 14pc to top $260m
- BIC, Al Zayani renew partnership
- Dubai Metro to open 2 stations Saturday
- Top petchem firms back UAE plastics events
- DGCX, China’s DCE launch plastics futures