GAC unveils eco-friendly packaging solution
Dubai, December 11, 2012
GAC Packaging Solutions, part of Dubai-based global logistics and marine services provider GAC Group, has launched a new ecologically-friendly and cost-effective packaging solution for liquid cargo transportation.
The ‘g-drum’ is a reusable, collapsible 208 litre (55 US gallon) drum with a ‘bag-in-a-box’ design that uses a product-specific flexible internal liner bag made from 3-ply Food & Pharmaceutical grade polyethylene (PE) film to store not only liquid cargoes but also for dry flowable or high viscosity products.
Developed and patented by International Liquid Packaging Solutions (ILPS), g-drums provided by GAC Packaging Solutions deliver up to 10 per cent savings in overall operational costs compared to traditional steel drums.
As the internal liner bag is changed between each cargo load, the risk of contamination of sensitive commodities such as foodstuffs, pharmaceuticals or chemicals is significantly reduced.
Customers also benefit from lower operating costs as g-drum eliminates the need for pre-conditioning and post-cleaning disposal, and reduces responsible care premiums.
Christer Sjödoff, GAC Group vice president – Solutions, said: “The principle underpinning GAC Solutions is to develop and bring to market innovative solutions to meet our customers’ changing needs.
“The g-drum really fits that ethos. It is a fantastic product for customers transporting and storing liquid bulk cargoes, offering a much more efficient, cost-effective, safe and environmentally-friendly way of transporting large volumes of liquids.”
GAC Packaging Solutions rents out the g-drum units on a contract basis, providing complete supply chain management.
It is responsible for delivering the drums to suppliers for loading, collecting them once loaded, shipping the loaded units to the end-user and finally collecting the empty, collapsed drums and returning them to the original loading points. GAC Packaging Solutions also manages all documentation and provides track and trace monitoring throughout.
Johan Andersson, acting managing director of GAC Packaging Solutions, said: “G-drum is a simple solution to a complex problem, but sometimes the simplest solutions are the best ones.
“The g-drum leasing programme makes good sense - both financially and ecologically - for our customers, who are naturally seeking to make cost and efficiency savings wherever possible, whilst also reducing their carbon footprint.” - TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- DNV to re-certifiy Drydocks World services
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Non-oil sectors ‘biggest contributors to UAE economy’
- Alba educates customers on best practices
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event