Milaha showcases maritime muscle at Seatrade
Doha, December 4, 2012
Qatar-based Milaha, a leader in marine transportation and offshore support services, demonstrated its expanding maritime capabilities at the recent Seatrade Middle East Maritime 2012 Conference and Exhibition in Dubai.
Sheikh Ali bin Jassim Al-Thani, chairman and managing director of Milaha, kicked off the event by delivering one of the keynote addresses as part of an eminent panel of the industry’s most prominent figures.
Highlighting the global economic challenges, Sheikh Ali explained how the strategic choices by the region’s leadership were allowing the GCC to collectively grow through these uncertainties and changes.
“This continued GCC growth through the recent economic challenges is the result of bold, strategic choices the region has been making. The region has been strengthening our historical role as a hub for the East/West trade, enhancing our strong natural resource base to expand production and move downstream while transforming our economies by diversifying the economic bases,” said Sheikh Ali.
He showcased Qatar’s investment initiatives, and explained that the unprecedented scale of these investments will require significant changes in capabilities.
“New capabilities, new offerings, and new talent are what are required. A giant leap in how we operate is what is required,” Sheikh Ali told attendees at the opening session highlighting some of the changes Milaha was undertaking to meet these needs.
Milaha was part of contingent of Qatar’s leading maritime companies.
Joined by Nakilat - Keppel Offshore & Marine (N-KOM) and Qatar Petroleum/Ras Laffan Port, the companies shared a pavilion focusing attention on the country’s increasing influence in the region’s maritime industry.
Sheikh Ali was announced Seatrade’s Personality of the Year, while Nakilat – Keppel Offshore & Marine won the Ship Repair/Shipyard Award and Ras Laffan took home the Port Authority Award and the Energy: Oil and Gas Award.
Now in their ninth year, these awards honour individuals, organisations and companies from across the region's shipping and logistics industry that have shown excellence and innovation over the previous 12 months. – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan
- Milaha profits jump 14pc to top $260m
- BIC, Al Zayani renew partnership
- Dubai Metro to open 2 stations Saturday
- Top petchem firms back UAE plastics events
- DGCX, China’s DCE launch plastics futures