MMFX Steel starts production in UAE
Dubai, April 23, 2012
MMFX Steel DMCC, the Mideast subsidiary of US-based MMFX Technologies, has started production of its proprietary MMFX2 concrete reinforcing steels (“rebar”) in the UAE with International Quality Steel (IQS).
IQS, headquartered in Dubai, is a group company of ANC Holdings and a leading steel producer in the UAE.
The ability of IQS to produce MMFX’s uncoated corrosion-resistant, high-strength steels substantially increases MMFX’s production capability for the Middle East market, a statement said.
It also gives MMFX a local supply source and enhances the company’s ability to respond to customer needs. Demand for its branded MMFX2 product continues to grow, particularly in environments where corrosion is a concern.
Independent tests have shown MMFX2 rebar to be five times more corrosion-resistant than and twice as strong as conventional steel.
The product’s high-strength (690 MPa [100 KSI] – 840 MPa [120 KSI] compared to 420 MPa [60 KSI]) is also advantageous when structures are engineered at the higher strength, the statement said.
These competitive advantages favorably position MMFX in the Middle East, where high heat and humidity, severe temperature swings, and highly aggressive soils accelerate steel corrosion. As conventional reinforcing steel rusts, the concrete structure weakens.
Utilizing MMFX2 can dramatically extend service life and reduce the life-cycle costs for bridges, commercial high-rises and other concrete reinforced steel structures, according to the statement.
With IQS’s production strengths, MMFX Steel DMCC will ramp up supply to the Middle East market, while also supporting customer needs through improved cost efficiencies and inventory management. IQS produces specialty and high-quality billets at a 100,000 metric tons per annum capacity.
“We chose to engage IQS because of their emphasis on quality and ability to work with our technical team to produce the unique microstructure of MMFX2 rebar,” said MMFX Steel DMCC president Salem Faza.
“Their capabilities and proximity to the market make them a great strategic fit for us.”
The company, along with its marketing partner, Zamil Group Holding Company, is marketing and selling MMFX2 throughout the Middle East. – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Amphibious boat debuts in Dubai
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Non-oil sectors ‘biggest contributors to UAE economy’
- Alba educates customers on best practices
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Maritime courses draw more trainees
- Dow to showcase at Dubai coatings expo
- UAE aluminium sector backs Syria refugees
- Asry in big vessel repair milestone
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event