Emal $4.6bn smelter expansion on track
Abu Dhabi, April 15, 2012
Emirates Aluminium (Emal) marked a major milestone in the construction of its $4.6 billion Phase II smelter expansion – the pouring of the first potroom concrete of what will be the world’s longest potline when complete in 2014.
The pouring was conducted by Emal and its contractors - AF Carillion, and SNC Lavalin II - in the presence of EMAL senior executives.
Phase II will add 444 reduction cells using the cutting-edge DX+ reduction cell technology. Phase II implementation will boost production to approximately 1.3 million metric tonnes by 2014 and will establish Emal as one of the largest single-site smelters in the world.
Yousuf Bastaki, Emal’s VP Projects, said: “This important milestone has been completed on-schedule and on-budget, and demonstrates the hard work and strong capabilities of Emal and its partners in executing a major expansion with all its attendant challenges.” – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Johnson Controls, Hitachi in AC venture
- OICT installs nextgen cranes at Sohar Port
- Saudi petchem giants eye share-swap merger in 2014
- Expo focus on UAE manufacturing sector
- Abu Dhabi port sets container throughput record
- Alba unit to mark HSE week
- Mideast air freight growth up 12.3pc
- Tycoon Sawiris announces $1bn Egypt investment
- Drydocks to build giant jack-up rigs in Dubai
- iMENA unveils big Saudi investment plans