DMCA repatriates crew of Korean tanker
Dubai, August 23, 2011
Dubai Maritime City Authority (DMCA), the lead regulator of the maritime sector in Dubai, has announced that the successful repatriation of 21 crew members of the Samho Jasper, a Korean tanker that was idled in Dubai waters.
Samho Jasper, which has been renamed Golden Lake, is now out of Dubai waters, DMCA said in a statement.
DMCA coordinated with the Port Police, the Harbor Master's office, Korean Consulate and the Korean owners and operators to safely manage the offshore situation and ensure a swift resolution of the outstanding issues.
The crew members, who were from Indonesia and Myanmar, had endured several months without pay and at times with limited supply of water and power, relying on DMCA and the Dubai government to intervene on their behalf with healthcare and logistics support.
DMCA further confirmed that two other stranded tankers – Samho Dream and Samho Crown, which are also owned by the same Korean shipping company – are being monitored and remain in a warm lay-up status.
Samho Shipping had filed for bankruptcy in Korea and is now emerging from the reorganization. Samho representatives flew into Dubai this past week from Korea to meet with DMCA to discuss how best to reactivate the tankers and resolve all outstanding issues.
DMCA negotiated with the parties concerned to ensure that the crew members were properly compensated for back pay before they were repatriated, while also ensuring payment to local service providers.
DMCA also facilitated negotiations with the parties involved that allowed the maritime authority to work out a solution without having to resort to litigation that could potentially take years to resolve. – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan
- Milaha profits jump 14pc to top $260m
- BIC, Al Zayani renew partnership
- Dubai Metro to open 2 stations Saturday
- Top petchem firms back UAE plastics events
- DGCX, China’s DCE launch plastics futures