PPG technology for new EFG plant
Dubai, November 16, 2008
Emirates Float Glass (EFG) has signed a technology licensing agreement with PPG Industries of US for its second float glass manufacturing facility in Abu Dhabi.
The construction of the new plant, which complements the company’s existing production unit in the Abu Dhabi Industrial City, will enable Emirates Float Glass to become the largest single-location float glass manufacturing facility in the region.
The two factories, covering a total area of 320,000 sq m, will have a combined production capacity of 1,200 tonnes per day.
EFG is a subsidiary of Glass, wholly owned by Dubai Investments.
Commenting on the agreement, Khalid Kalban, chairman of EFG and managing director and CEO of Dubai Investments, said: “EFG's license agreement with PPG Industries would ensure the best process and product technology services and process assessment.
“Emirates Float Glass was founded with a vision to become the largest float glass manufacturer in the region, and the launch of this second production unit marks a significant step in realizing our strategic objectives. This expansion project will help to considerably boost EFG’s business readiness and will allow us to quickly and efficiently cater to the diverse needs of our growing customer base,” Kalban added.
N D Mohanty, general manager of Emirates Float Glass, said: “EFG’s continued business relationship and collaborative initiatives with PPG USA, as technology licensor, reflect the strong foundation of this ambitious venture between the two companies, and we are confident that our collective synergies will enable EFG to establish a solid foothold in the regional market by delivering advanced product ranges. Within the next 2-3 years, we plan to further expand our operations by setting up a number of related value added and special product glass processing facilities in order to meet growing consumer demand.'
Mark J Orcutt, vice-president of PPG Industries, expressing complete confidence in EFG's success, stated: 'PPG will assure both short-term and long-term success of EFG through transfer of state-of-the-art technology to produce a wide range of high-end float glass and related products as well as through ongoing technical and marketing support.'
PPG Industries, founded in 1883, is a global supplier of glass, coatings, fiber glass and chemicals. The company has about 50 production facilities in the United States and about 108 facilities worldwide, including subsidiaries, joint ventures and equity affiliates.
The construction contract for EFG’s second plant has been awarded to Ianua S.p.A, a leading Italy-based company that specialises in designing and building machinery and plants used in glass process transformation. – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan
- Milaha profits jump 14pc to top $260m
- BIC, Al Zayani renew partnership
- Dubai Metro to open 2 stations Saturday
- Top petchem firms back UAE plastics events
- DGCX, China’s DCE launch plastics futures