BCC joins global drive on heart disease
Manama, May 21, 2013
Bahrain City Centre (BCC), the largest shopping mall in the Kingdom, is taking part in a global awareness campaign on the prevention of heart diseases amongst women.
Go Red for Women will be held within the mall premises on May 23 and 24, offering complimentary heart health check-ups for women by medical professionals from King Hamad University Hospital.
As part of the campaign, heart health testing for blood pressure, blood group test, random blood sugar, cholesterol test and Body Mass Index (BMI) will be performed onsite, in addition to the quick health tips service provided by the hospital at the stand.
Go Red for Women, founded by the American Heart Association in 2004, is supported annually by more than 30 countries worldwide. With the tagline, ‘This is not a red dress, it is a red alert,’ the campaign aims to raise awareness about the importance of prevention, diagnosis and control of cardiovascular disease (CVD) in women.
“Channeling the community’s efforts to fight the leading cause of death is a challenge in Bahrain and this is what drove us to take part in this philanthropic programme,” said Duaij Khalifa Al Rumaihi, senior mall manager, Bahrain City Centre.
“It is an excellent opportunity for the mall, to educate and empower women to take charge of their heart health. The initiative aligns with our commitment to the local community as a socially-responsible organisation. As the first time that Bahrain City Centre is taking part in the cause, we hope to engage our mothers, sisters and daughters to participate.”
Cardiovascular diseases – heart disease and stroke - account for 32 per cent of all deaths in Bahrain, making it the number one cause of death in the country, according to the World Health Organization.
It is known to be the biggest killer of women globally, killing more women than all cancers, tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS and malaria combined. Tobacco smoking amongst men and women is also a concern in the country and many studies detail the evidence that it is a major cause of coronary heart disease, which leads to heart attack.
Go Red for Women is a corporate social responsibility campaign that will also roll out across Majid Al Futtaim Properties’ malls in the region, including the UAE, Egypt and Oman. – TradeArabia News Service
More Health & Environment Stories
- SARS virus claims one more victim in Saudi
- New support group comes to overeaters' rescue
- RAK Hospital launches urinary clinic for women
- NBAD backs Emiratis on Antarctica trip
- Cut sugar intake drastically urges WHO
- Al khaliji to fund Qatar recycling plant
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- New facilitator to open in DHCC
- Many countries lack capacity to prevent hearing loss
- QUIT NOW: Passive smoking hurts kids' arteries
- San Francisco to ban plastic water bottles
- GSK wins home toothpaste award for Sensodyne
- E-integration vital to GCC healthcare industry
- Fakih IVF unveils two new genetic tests
- 2 die from H1N1 in Oman
- Al Noor Hospitals targets domestic growth
- Medical panel on the way in Bahrain
- 40pc of UAE adults ‘have hypertension’
- Saudi diabetics urged to stay away from camels
- GCC readies plan to fight heart diseases
- Bahrain opens sickle cell hospital
- Hazardous waste focus for Oman summit
- Infectious viruses to be tracked by satellite in UAE
- Mafraq Hospital names new surgery chief
- Saudi health ministry seals BMJ partnership
- Need for medical simulation training highlighted
- UAE-France discuss healthcare collaboration
- Seha focus on patient centred services
- Saudi-Tokyo firms in wastewater technology JV
- Leading experts at Dubai diabetes conference