Tamkeen expo draws good crowd
Manama, January 7, 2013
More than 700 participants including leading entrepreneurs and private sector representatives attended the first 'Tamkeen Expo, Conference and Exhibition' which opened in Bahrain today (January 7).
The two-day event being held at the Gulf Hotel is part of Tamkeen's efforts to support private sector enterprises and develop the skills of Bahraini citizens to make them the employees of choice.
Tamkeen Expo 2013 consists of a conference, exhibition, and a series of workshops aimed at providing a knowledge-sharing platform for entrepreneurs in particular and the private sector in general and enabling the general public to learn about Tamkeen's various support programmes through the participation of entrepreneurs who have already benefited from these programmes.
In the inaugural speech, Tamkeen’s chairman Shaikh Mohammed bin Essa Al Khalifa underlined the strength of the Bahraini economy.
He said the Kingdom was taking steady and sure steps toward further progress and prosperity under the reform initiatives of His Majesty the King and the astute guidance of HRH the Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the chairman of the Economic Development Board - with Tamkeen being one of the cornerstones of these economic reform initiatives.
He highlighted the extensive efforts that the Tamkeen team takes to design various programmes to develop the capacity of Bahraini enterprises and individuals in line with the labour market requirements.
Shaikh Mohammed also noted Tamkeen's efforts in advocating business concepts such as microfinance, SME funding, entrepreneurship, continuous individual training, women economic empowerment, employment support, and best management practices.
The aim is to build a prosperous and diversified economy by all Bahrainis in accordance with Bahrain’s Economic Vision, he said.
"Through its initiatives, Tamkeen helps accomplish a series of national missions to serve the coming Bahraini generations. These initiatives set specific goals and offer realistic and innovative solutions to fulfill the aspirations and ambitions of the Bahraini people," Shaikh Mohammed noted.
Tamkeen's success, therefore, is linked to the success of our citizens and our kingdom as a whole. This is the criterion against which we judge our success in accomplishing our missions, and this dictates that we provide every Bahraini with the tools that he/she needs to reach his/her potential," he added.
More than 66,000 Bahraini individuals and enterprises in Bahrain have benefited from Tamkeen programmes to date, and the total number is expected to rise to more than 100,000.
Keynote speakers Dr Saad Al Barrak, ILA Group chairman, and Rama Chakaki, co-founder and CEO of Dubai-based Baraka Ventures, discussed the role of entrepreneurship in economic development.
Dr Saad focused in his presentation on the art of leadership and change management, while Chakaki explained the importance of social entrepreneurship in addition to the challenges that businesses face within this field and the needed solutions to overcome them.
As part of the opening ceremony, Shaikh Mohammed, accompanied by senior officials and participants, toured the exhibition at the Gulf International Conventions Center.
Around 80 enterprises that benefited from Tamkeen's financing, advisory, and other programmes to develop their businesses are participating in the exhibition.
A number of partners and certified service providers from various economic sectors are also participating in the exhibition to introduce Tamkeen programmes to the public and encourage them to benefit from these programmes.
The series of interactive workshops within the conference and exhibition also witnessed remarkable attendance on their first day. Led by prominent experts, the workshops addressed important business-related issues like: how to set real business objectives and priorities, how enhancing quality increases profitability, discovering your passion and skills to start your business, and marketing & beyond.
On the second day tomorrow, key workshops entitled: "Exhibitions – making the most of your participation," "Social media toolkit – strategies for entrepreneurs, and e-tendering" will be conducted.-TradeArabia News Service
More Education, HR & Training Stories
- Saudi CEOs ‘highest paid in GCC’
- UAE ministry seals Microsoft deal
- Pact signed for UAE girls students' development
- Bahrain private school to resume classes
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Number of Omani working women soars
- Bayt.com launches Employer of Choice Awards
- Rota interview to screen youth conference applicants
- Experts discuss ways to build talented aviation workforce
- Top e-learning experts at Dubai summit
- Top education experts win GESS awards
- Bahrainis top GCC nationals seeking Saudi jobs
- Transguard launches graduate trainee programme
- Applications invited for Bahrain scholarship
- New technology training for educators
- Mubadala tie-up promotes healthy lifestyle
- GCC education sector short of 200,000 professionals
- Rosetta Stone buys language-learning firm
- Focus on special needs education
- NIIT signs deal with Com Group
- iPads replace textbooks in 75 Saudi schools
- 250 students tour aviation training facility in Abu Dhabi
- 40 Jordanian students showcase apps, games
- New Indian school opens in Dubai
- Sharp to showcase educational products at Gess2014
- Qatar science park offers training to tech entrepreneurs
- Bahrain Indian School opens new campus
- Labour reforms 'key to job creation'
- Petroleum services training centre opened in Dammam
- Silatech, Spark to partner on youth work