Sacked workers' cases 'being inflated'
Manama, November 20, 2012
A trade union federation of Bahrain is exaggerating the number of cases pending of workers sacked during last year's unrest, said a senior government official.
Labour Minister Jameel Humaidan said only 100 such cases remain unresolved - and not 700 as claimed by the General Federation of Bahrain Trade Unions (GFBTU) before the International Labour Organisation (ILO), according to a report in our sister publication the Gulf Daily News.
Humaidan also lashed out at the ILO for failing to dismiss the "unjustified" complaint about the reinstatement of workers sacked during the unrest.
He was addressing a Press conference following his return from Geneva where he presented evidence to an ILO technical committee, which is studying the complaint.
The GFBTU and its supporters overseas have been trying to keep the issue alive to serve their own interests, said Humaidan.
"Of the 4,600 people who lost their jobs, 98 per cent have been reinstated while the government is playing an active role in getting jobs for the others."
Thousands of workers were fired by the public and private sectors in Bahrain for their alleged role in the unrest in February and March last year. Most were later reinstated following recommendations of the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry. – TradeArabia News Service
More Education, HR & Training Stories
- 80 Qatari youth complete leadership programme
- Qatar launches Josoor Institute
- Gess launches GCC education awards
- Professional social media jobs urged
- DFM opens educational trading floor at varsity
- Bahrain SMEs sector 'vital to economy'
- Bahrain to host entrepreneurship forum
- HBMeU, Fujairah College sign education pact
- Oil industry struggling to attract women, says survey
- Etihad, HCT sign pact for education centre