WCMC-Q researchers win $15m grant
Doha, June 27, 2010
Qatar National Research Program’s (QNRF) National Priorities Research Fund (NPRP) has granted $15.2 million for projects being undertaken by Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar’s (WCMC-Q) biomedical researchers.
The funding supports 15 projects in total, covering a range of scientific areas.
The projects also encompass significant international collaborations with the aim of building biomedical research capacity in Doha.
“Our researchers have one goal in mind: to improve the lives of the people of Qatar and the world through the providence of new knowledge and cutting-edge approaches to health care across all sectors,” said Dr Javaid Sheikh, dean of WCMC-Q. “With support from QNRF, we are able to put plans into motion, work toward the goal and increasingly draw top-tier researchers to this worthy mission in Qatar.”
Grants are awarded based on the research design as well as the subject and its ability to address national needs. WCMC-Q researchers therefore received financial support to forge ahead in vital research areas, including cancer, diabetes, stem cells, molecular medicine, genomics, vaccine development and basic health, as well as other fields relevant to regional and global needs.
Overall, NPRP funding for biomedical research ranked second only to funds allocated toward engineering research, a clear indication of the country’s dedication to advances along these lines, said a statement. –TradeArabia News Service
More Education, HR & Training Stories
- NBAD partners with top business school
- MBS to launch new MBA programme in Dubai
- EU equity buys Cambridge Education for $304m
- Etisalat hosts mobile learning conference
- Abu Dhabi Police partners with Harvard University
- Distraction at work big problem, says Mena study
- Saudi must boost private sector to meet jobs demand: IMF
- Oman college joins SAP dual study programme
- J4B jobs portal a boon for Bahrainis
- Qatar college hosts recruitment fair