Batelco backs global education drive
Manama, March 6, 2010
Batelco Group, the leading in telecom services provider in Bahrain, will join other leading mobile operators in an education initiative aimed at supporting universal education.
The 1Goal: Education For All – a legacy of the FIFA World Cup 2010 – is co-founded by HM Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan, who announced the campaign at the recent GSMA Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
1Goal is an initiative to ensure that every child in the world has the opportunity to go to school by 2015. Today, 72 million children in the world are denied that chance, and do not have access to basic primary education, a statement said.
Operators from across the mobile world, including the Batelco Group, have joined forces with global football stars, the football world and FIFA, along with educational champions, charities and campaigners to support the mobile campaign, the world’s largest cause related campaign ever undertaken.
Operators serving more than one billion mobile users will deliver an international mobile communications campaign of unprecedented reach that combines the platform of the world’s biggest sporting occasion with the world’s largest medium, to harness public support for the effort.
The campaign is providing the platform for millions of people globally, to show their support for 1Goal.
It launches on April 20 and runs up until the World Cup final in South Africa on July 11.
“I want to thank each and every one of you here today who has joined the 1Goal team and who'll reach out to subscribers with a message, an app, or a widget,” said Queen Rania.
“1Goal is about people-power... the largest ever, never-before-done, cause-related campaign of its kind. And I hope that those of you in the mobile ecosystem who haven't done so, will join up and sign up before our kick-off in April,” she added.
GSMA CEO Rob Conway said that the GSMA Board has recognised the role, responsibility and reach of mobile in harnessing global support for universal education, a critical part of the UN’s mission to eliminate world poverty.
The mobile campaign, coordinated by the GSMA, will comprise a host of mobile communications tools, including mobile advertising, applications and messaging plus innovative football related content.
The GSMA and 1Goal will provide the marketing tools to operators and others that support the campaign. – TradeArabia News Service
More Education, HR & Training Stories
- J4B marks first year with Tamkeen backing
- Saudi CEOs ‘highest paid in GCC’
- UAE ministry seals Microsoft deal
- Pact signed for UAE girls students' development
- Bahrain private school to resume classes
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Number of Omani working women soars
- Bayt.com launches Employer of Choice Awards
- Rota interview to screen youth conference applicants
- Experts discuss ways to build talented aviation workforce
- Top e-learning experts at Dubai summit
- Top education experts win GESS awards
- Bahrainis top GCC nationals seeking Saudi jobs
- Transguard launches graduate trainee programme
- Applications invited for Bahrain scholarship
- New technology training for educators
- Mubadala tie-up promotes healthy lifestyle
- GCC education sector short of 200,000 professionals
- Rosetta Stone buys language-learning firm
- Focus on special needs education
- NIIT signs deal with Com Group
- iPads replace textbooks in 75 Saudi schools
- 250 students tour aviation training facility in Abu Dhabi
- 40 Jordanian students showcase apps, games
- New Indian school opens in Dubai
- Sharp to showcase educational products at Gess2014
- Qatar science park offers training to tech entrepreneurs
- Bahrain Indian School opens new campus
- Labour reforms 'key to job creation'
- Petroleum services training centre opened in Dammam