$63m Bahrain flyover project on track
Manama, September 12, 2013
A major revamp of the Mina Salman interchange in Bahrain is expected to be completed by the end of next month, said a report, citing a senior Works Ministry official.
Roads special projects section chief Sayed Bader Ali predicted the BD24 million ($63.2 million) project would result in a faster trade route for imports and exports between Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, reported the Gulf Daily News, our sister publication.
Work started in August last year on a new underpass, flyover, bridge and associated road connections.
The long-awaited underpass is due to be completed by the end of this month.
"The underpass will be opened before the end of the month," said Ali. "Once the underpass is opened it will free up more areas that we can work on. The second phase of the project is to focus on the at-grade bridge, which is the slab that can be seen above the tunnel," he noted.
He said work was taking place 24 hours a day, seven days a week to finish the junction on time.
"It will all be completed in two months and we are very serious about the deadline," he said.
"On average we used to have about 500 workers in shifts, but now we have an increase to about 800 towards the end of the project because we have a lot of work to catch up with."
He said all that would be left to complete in November was the road works.
"The road works will take place at a later stage which may go a little beyond November 30, which is the completion date, but that doesn't matter because once the main parts of the interchange are opened then that is actually a substantial completion," he said.-TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Dubai wins Expo 2020 with HOK masterplan
- UAE property group to invest $54m in Turkey
- Industrial facility rents up in Abu Dhabi
- DB Schenker breaks ground on new Dubai facility
- Arabtec inks $1.2bn UAE hospital contract
- Oman invites bids for key airport project
- Spanish group wins $105m Kuwait cable deal
- Swicorp plans $266m Saudi property fund
- Atkins to supervise $600m project in Oman
- Damac raises $348m in London share sale