Carillion Alawi wins $201m Oman contract
Muscat, June 17, 2013
Carillion Alawi, a leading builder, has clinched a RO78 million ($201 million) contract for the construction of the second phase of Oman Convention & Exhibition Centre Precinct comprising exhibition halls, car park facilities and a district cooling plant.
The project is being developed by Omran, the tourism development and investment arm of Oman, said a report in the Oman Daily Observer.
As per the contract, Carillion Alawi will be responsible for the construction of a structured car park facility for 4,200 vehicles on three parking levels totalling an area of 143,000 sq m, exhibition halls of 45,000 sq m gross area which will provide five halls with service trenches, plant rooms, and acoustically treated vertically movable partitions to enable separation and sound isolation of each hall, stated the report.
Due for completion in late 2016, the Oman Convention and Exhibition Centre is located in its own fully integrated precinct four kilometres from Muscat International Airport.
The Centre will feature two tiered auditoria to seat 3,200 and 450 while the exhibition halls will feature 22,000 sq m of column-free exhibition space.
This is the second major construction package to be awarded by Omran after the award of the development of the Site Infrastructure and Utilities Package late last year, the report quoted CEO Wael al Lawati as saying.
The project also includes a five star hotel linked to the convention centre, two four star, and a three star hotel and apartments with a combined total of 1,000 rooms, he stated.
A business park, retail shopping mall surrounded by a nature reserve which will be a haven for Oman’s exotic birdlife, parklands and wadi (valley) park are also part of this picturesque precinct, added Al Lawati.
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan