Obayashi-HBK venture wins Doha project deal
Doha, May 21, 2013
Qatar's Msheireb Properties has awarded a consortium comprising Japan's Obayashi Corporation and Qatar's HBK Contracting a construction contract worth QR2.5billion ($686.64 million), reports said.
The contract covers the Phase three of its flagship Msheireb Downtown Doha project.
"Awarding the construction contract for Phase three symbolises our commitment to the implementation of this project and is testament to the swift progress we are making in its construction," chief executive officer at Msheireb Properties, Abdulla Hassan AlMehshadi, was quoted as saying.
Executive officer of Obayashi Corporation, Kotaro Nonaka, speaking on behalf of Obayashi-HBK joint venture, said the company was honoured to be appointed as contractors for the crucial part of the development and to be part of the Msheireb Downtown Doha construction team.
Phase three involves the construction of a built-up area of approximately 310,000 sq m comprising 14 buildings that are up to 22 storeys in height as well as four basement levels offering 2,200 parking spaces.
It will comprise two office buildings, 350 residential units spread across 11 buildings, four communal swimming pools in addition to a mosque, retail, hotel, hospitality and community facilities.
Described as the world's first sustainable regeneration of a downtown area in a modern city, the project combines traditional local building practices and design influences with the latest technologies in energy efficiency and environmental management.
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan