Egypt nears Orascom deal on tax dispute
Cairo, March 24, 2013
The Egyptian government is close to a deal with Orascom Construction Industries (OCI) over a tax dispute, the finance minister was quoted by local media as saying on Sunday.
Al-Mursi Al-Sayed Hegazy said so far the agreement was for OCI to pay 7.1 billion Egyptian pounds ($1.04 billion), Al-Borsa and Al-Youm Al-Sabei newspapers reported.
The Egyptian stock exchange briefly halted dealing in OCI's shares, before resuming trading after it received a statement from the company.
In that statement, OCI said talks with the tax authority were ongoing and it hoped to reveal details at the earliest opportunity.
The Egyptian authorities have been investigating claims the company failed to pay some 14 billion Egyptian pounds of taxes on the sale of Orascom Building, an OCI subsidiary, to French firm Lafarge, according to state media.
Earlier this month the firm's chief executive officer, Nassef Sawiris, and his father were barred from leaving the country as part of an investigation into tax evasion.
OCI is separately finalising a deal that might lead it to leave the Egyptian stock market, against the government's wishes.
Dutch-listed parent company OCI NV announced an acquisition deal in January under which holders of OCI's GDRs (global depositary receipts) were offered shares in OCI NV, while holders of the firm's Egypt-listed ordinary shares got the option of cash or OCI NV shares.
OCI's board approved the deal in February, but Egypt's financial regulator has delayed its completion, requesting more information.-Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed