Bids invited for Zayed Museum
Abu Dhabi, March 3, 2013
Abu Dhabi’s Tourism Development and Investment Company (TDIC) has invited prequalification bids for the main contract works on its prestigious Zayed National Museum project.
The museum project, the centrepiece of the Saadiyat Cultural District, will serve as a monument and memorial to the UAE’s founding President Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan. It will have a built-up area of 66,198 sq m.
The long-awaited contract involves works on the concrete superstructure, structural steelwork, feature cladding to the wing-shaped aspects of the external facade, vertical transportation and specialist security installation. Additionally, it includes electrical, plumbing and mechanical (MEP) works and fit-out and external works.
Prequalification bids are due to be submitted by March 21.
Companies or consortia seeking to be prequalified for the project need to have a successful track record in relevant construction projects, recent experience in projects of similar size and complexity and have completed three projects each worth more than Dh1 billion ($272 million) in the last five years, said a notification.
Designed by the leading UK-based architectural firm Foster + Partners, the museum’s architecture will combine a highly efficient and contemporary form with elements of traditional Arabic design and hospitality. Cutting-edge design, materials and construction methods will go into creating this spectacular monument that has been inspired by the dynamic of flight and the feathers of a falcon.
Each steel feather - the tallest of which rises 125 m - will contain a gallery space where visitors can explore the history and culture of the UAE. The building will be surrounded by water and set within landscaped gardens. The museum will feature seven permanent gallery displays as well as a dynamic special exhibition programme in which visitors can explore the long history, heritage and culture of the UAE and its place in the world.
TDIC is a master-developer of major cultural, residential and tourism destinations in Abu Dhabi.
Located 500 m from the UAE capital, Saadiyat Island is one of TDIC’s flagship developments covering 27 sq km. When completed in phases by 2020, the island will become a premier destination providing leisure and tourism facilities, as well as civic and cultural institutions to its estimated 160,000 residents. Saadiyat Island Cultural District will be home to the world’s largest concentration of cultural institutions in the world and will also include the Louvre Abu Dhabi and the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi museums. – TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan
- Cluttons Dubai launches new luxury apartments
- Dubai developer Damac profits triple to $641m
- Dubai to start work on $544m water canal
- Dubai property market can absorb 25,000 units
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- Aldar raises synergy estimate from Sorouh merger
- UAE industrial property sector keeps up growth
- Dubai residential property prices up 26pc
- Majid Al Futtaim to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- 300 firms to take part in Dubai property forum
- Naseej inks deal to develop Bahrain projects
- Dadabhai unveils new residential project
- Flowcrete completes Dubai Mall project
- Global asphalt demand hits new high
- $1.3bn infrastructure investment firm set up in Saudi
- Manara sees big project villa success
- Global giants eye RAK utility projects
- Cayan partners with international artist Zsuzsanna
- Samsung, Hyundai win $1.7bn Iraq deals