Abu Dhabi royal scraps giant Pakistan project
Abu Dhabi, February 26, 2013
Abu Dhabi royal Sheikh Nahayan bin Mubarak al-Nahayan has cancelled a tentative agreement with a Pakistani businessman that envisioned spending $45 billion on a real estate project in Karachi over 15 years -- a cancellation that comes less than two weeks after the deal was signed.
No reason was given for the cancellation in a statement by the Abu Dhabi Group, which Sheikh Nahayan chairs.
The memorandum of understanding with Pakistani real estate tycoon Malik Riaz Hussain to build residential properties on an island had been touted in Pakistan as the country's biggest ever foreign investment.
The statement received by Reuters said no financial obligation or commitment had been assumed by the sheikh, the conglomerate, or his privately owned construction firm Dhabi Contracting.
"It is...unfortunate that discussions between the parties could not reach any conclusion and the Memorandum of Understanding has been cancelled," it said.
Abu Dhabi Group, which invests in emerging markets, has large investments in Pakistan including Bank Alfalah, Warid Telecom, Al Razi Healthcare and Wateen Telecom.-Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan