Hutchinson wins $130m Oman port contract
Muscat, January 19, 2013
Oman has awarded Hong Kong's Hutchinson Whampoa a RO50 million ($130 million) contract to build and operate a port terminal in the northern industrial city of Sohar, a statement from Port of Sohar said on Saturday.
"The new terminal will double the port's capacity to 1.5 million (twenty-foot equivalent units) TEU from the current 800,000 TEU. Hutchinson Whampoa will also manage the terminal after completion of the terminal," the statement said.
The terminal, to occupy about 70 hectares of land, is expected to be completed by the end of this year.
Sohar is home to major industries including a 120,000 barrels per day refinery, an aluminium smelter, a free zone and a steel pelletising plant.
Oman's three other ports are in the capital Muscat, Salalah in the south and in the central town of Duqm.-Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan
- Cluttons Dubai launches new luxury apartments
- Dubai developer Damac profits triple to $641m
- Dubai to start work on $544m water canal
- Dubai property market can absorb 25,000 units
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- Aldar raises synergy estimate from Sorouh merger
- UAE industrial property sector keeps up growth
- Dubai residential property prices up 26pc
- Majid Al Futtaim to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- 300 firms to take part in Dubai property forum
- Naseej inks deal to develop Bahrain projects
- Dadabhai unveils new residential project
- Flowcrete completes Dubai Mall project
- Global asphalt demand hits new high
- $1.3bn infrastructure investment firm set up in Saudi
- Manara sees big project villa success
- Global giants eye RAK utility projects
- Cayan partners with international artist Zsuzsanna