GDF Suez wins Az Zour power plant contract
Kuwait, January 8, 2013
A consortium led by global energy giant GDF Suez, has been awarded the contract for the construction and operation of a 1,500MW gas-fired combined cycle power plant at Az Zour in Kuwait.
As per the deal, the GDF Suez-led consortium will construct the 1,500MW power plant along with an associated water desalination plant with a capacity of 102 to 107 MIGD (464 to 486 thousand cu m/day). The plant is expected to start commercial operation in 2015.
GDF Suez said the project will be jointly owned by the consortium including Sumitomo Corporation (Japan) and its Kuwaiti partner Abdullah Hamad Al Sagar & Brothers, and Kuwaiti nationals (via an Initial Public Offering).
The consortium had won the bid for the Az Zour North Independent Water & Power Project (IWPP) in Kuwait by the State’s Partnerships Technical Bureau (PTB), it added.
Announcing this on Tuesday, Shankar Krishnamoorthy, the CEO and president of GDF Suez Energy Middle East, Turkey & Africa, said, "We are proud to be the first international investor in private power and water development in Kuwait and to partner with the PTB to develop quality infrastructure for the people of Kuwait."
The capacity of the plant will account for approximately12 per cent of Kuwait’s installed generation capacity and about 23 per cent of its installed desalination capacity.
All of the plant’s output will be purchased by the Kuwait Ministry of Electricity and Water under a 40-year long-term Energy Conversion and Water Purchase Agreement (ECWPA), he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Indian group plans $300m Bahrain Bay investment
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah