Bahrain schedules work on new complex
Manama, January 8, 2013
Work on the new multimillion dinar National Assembly complex at Al Fateh Corniche in Bahrain will begin in July next year, a report said.
Reclamation work on an artificial 100,000 sq m (10 hectare) island is already ongoing at the site with construction work to begin immediately, according to the report published in our sister publication, the Gulf Daily News.
The state-of-the-art complex will include new-concept facilities and departments, including grand halls and meeting chambers for different committees and offices for MPs and Shura Council members in addition to their support staff.
Directives were issued last month by HRH Prime Minister Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa to the Works Ministry for work to start on the complex after years of delay, the report said.
A model of the complex designed by a Bahraini architect firm was yesterday showcased for Shura Council and parliament members at the current complex in Gudaibiya.
"The leadership believes in democracy and we are doing whatever possible to ensure that it gets the push it needs to progress," said Shura Council chairman Ali Saleh Al Saleh.
"The current complex, designed 20 years ago for Shura Council use, can't withstand numbers especially with parliament coming in to take space in 2002. Members currently don't have offices and employees are forced into portable cabins or crowded in limited space."
He said the move will give the legislative authority the status it deserves as a representative of the public. "The new complex would not just be spacious, but equipped with latest technological advancements to meet future needs," he added.
Works Ministry special projects head Tony Robinson also spoke of the complex's new features. – TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan
- Cluttons Dubai launches new luxury apartments
- Dubai developer Damac profits triple to $641m
- Dubai to start work on $544m water canal
- Dubai property market can absorb 25,000 units
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- Aldar raises synergy estimate from Sorouh merger
- UAE industrial property sector keeps up growth
- Dubai residential property prices up 26pc
- Majid Al Futtaim to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- 300 firms to take part in Dubai property forum