Bahrain unveils $1.5bn plan for new homes
Manama, December 9, 2012
Bahrain will invest BD580 million ($1.51 billion) to build 16,000 housing units under a 2013-2014 scheme, said a top government official.
"The massive project will be funded through the new state budget and the GCC Marshall Plan," Shura Council financial and economic affairs committee chairman Khalid Hussain Al Maskati was quoted as saying in a Gulf Daily News report.
It is part of a strategy drawn up by the Housing Ministry to build more than 50,000 units and clear applications piled over the past five years, according to the report.
Work is also underway to build 6,055 units across Bahrain as part of the previous budget.
The budget for 2013 and 2014 has allocated BD240 million for the ministry.
It will also spend BD340 million from the GCC Marshall Plan to build East Hidd Town and other cities.
Preparations are in full swing to start work on the mega East Hidd Town, which comprises 4,500 units, including 1,350 low-cost ones.
Two residential cities will come up in East Sitra and the Southern Governorate, each comprising 4,000 units.
The ministry is stepping up efforts to complete land reclamation and finalise appropriation procedures.
The Education Ministry has also announced plans to build six schools as part of the 2013 budget, in addition to seven under the GCC Marshall Plan. – TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed