Nakheel 9-month profit nearly doubles
Dubai, October 21, 2012
Dubai's indebted property developer Nakheel said on Sunday that net profit for the first nine months of the year nearly doubled, helped by property handovers and growing business in its retail and leasing segment.
Nakheel, whose developments at the height of Dubai's property boom contributed to the emirate's debt woes, has been slowly recovering from the crippling real estate collapse.
Net profit for the nine months ended September 30 was 1.1 billion dirhams ($299.5 million), up from 600 million dirhams in the year-ago period, Nakheel said in a statement sent by email. The company did not provide any quarterly numbers.
Revenue for the nine months rose to 4.5 billion dirhams ($1.224 billion) from 2.0 billion dirhams in the prior-year period.
Nakheel, builder of man-made islands in the shape of palms and a map of the world, said about 4,000 units had been delivered to customers since the start of its restructuring in August 2011.
The company, brought under direct government control as part of the restructuring of its parent Dubai World, said it had made cash payments of about 9.4 billion dirhams to trade creditors as part of a $16 billion debt restructuring plan agreed last year. - Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed