Dubai state firm takes over Zabeel management
Dubai, October 2, 2012
State-owned Dubai Real Estate Corp (DREC) has taken over the management of Zabeel Investments, the indebted firm owned by Dubai's crown prince, the chief executive of Investment Corporation of Dubai said on Tuesday.
Sources told Reuters last week that DREC had taken over the company, which owes about 6 billion dirhams ($1.6 billion) to mostly local banks.
"Zabeel is only managed by DREC, the ownership is still the same," Mohammed Al-Shaibani told Reuters on the sidelines of a real estate conference.
The sources said DREC will lead fresh debt discussions. Talks on restructuring the debt ground to a halt in January.
Zabeel, owned by Crown Prince Hamdan bin Mohammed Al-Maktoum, once had stakes in Sony Corp and planemaker EADS. Formed in 2006, the company has hospitality, property and private equity assets. It owns the lavish Zabeel Saray hotel on Dubai's man-made Palm Jumeirah island.
Shaibani, who is also head of Dubai's Rulers Court and a member of the emirate's Supreme Fiscal Committee, said Investment Corporation of Dubai had no plans to offload businesses.
"There are no plans to sell assets at ICD, all our holdings are strategic," he said.
ICD holds about $70 billion in assets and its financial position is bolstered by dividend payouts from its portfolio of companies. Its investments include successful airline Emirates, bank Emirates NBD and Dubai Islamic Bank .
Dubai has negotiated terms to restructure some $41 billion of debt related to its flagship conglomerate Dubai World and its property arm Nakheel, promising to repay the debt partly through asset sales. - Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed