Bahrain plans big infrastructure upgrade
Manama, April 18, 2012
Bahrain Minister of Works Essam bin Abdulla Khalaf on Wednesday outlined his vision for the Kingdom's infrastructure upgrade which includes major highways with uninterrupted traffic flows connecting all major areas.
Khalaf revealed details of upgrades to Bahrain’s roads and infrastructure while speaking at a luncheon meeting hosted by the Bahrain British Business Forum (BBBF) at the Diplomat Radisson Blu Hotel in Manama.
Addressing an audience of almost 200 BBBF members and their guests, Khalaf said the Ministry had awarded 33 tenders worth BD29.1 million ($77.2 million) in the first quarter, and invited bids on another 20 tenders for a total value of nearly BD29.7 million.
'Further, in 2011 the ministry awarded a total of 89 tenders at a value of BD132 million and also invited bids on 104 tenders worth BD100 million.
This was a very positive development and represents an increase of 25 per cent over 2010, notwithstanding the very difficult period the nation went through.
The minister pointed out that despite several issues, the works continued throughout, and no projects were interrupted.
Khalaf then engaged the audience, which included Britain’s Ambassador to Bahrain, Iain Lindsay and BBBF chairman, Khalid Al Zayani, in a lively question and answer session.
Thanking the minister, BBBF chairman Khalid Al Zayani said, 'We very much appreciate the efforts of Minister of Works in engaging the Bahrain and British business communities in this way.'
'Our understanding of the ministry’s plans and constraints will go a long way to further enhancing business between our two nations and will help to make the 2030 Economic Vision a reality,' he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan