Bahrain towns to get $5.3m facelift
Manama, January 2, 2011
Eight towns and villages in the Northern Governorate of Bahrain could be in line for a BD2 million ($5.3 million) revamp as a part of a pioneering initiative.
Those in the list include Jidhafs, Abu Saiba, Janusan, Al Murkh, Al Jasra, Al Qurayah and Karzakan. Hamad Town has also been chosen for a second phase of revamp, however, due to instances of vandalism it has been put on hold.
The Northern Municipal Council is trying to pressurise the government to inject the funds into the scheme to pay for projects planned for this year and next year.
Council chairman Ali Al Jabal claimed that Municipalities and Urban Planning Affairs Minister Dr Juma Al Ka'abi had promised to provide funds to help rescue the scheme, but did not disclose the amount.
"We have to announce our revamp plans, if we want to receive the BD2m funding from the government," he said. "Our revamp will start in Al Murkh and Jidhafs and then continue in the seven other villages and towns."
"Hamad Town is included in the list for the second phase of revamp. It may see them and it may not with the new string of vandalism, with others from the 28 areas on our waiting list possibly replacing it."
Al Jabal, who is one of three area councillors for Hamad Town, said that the scheme launched in May 2009 had managed to achieve a lot thanks to contributions from the public sector, which helped fund projects in selected villages.-TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Asian skyscraper prices tower over rest of the world
- Tamleek opens new office in Dubai
- $29m allocated for Bahrain drainage projects
- Indian group plans $300m Bahrain Bay investment
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings