Qatari Diar to build tourism centre in Tunisia
Tunis, October 14, 2010
Qatari Diar, a property arm of Qatar's sovereign wealth fund, will build a tourism complex in southern Tunisia at the cost of $80 million, its managing director Mohamed al Hadfa said.
The planned complex, which will include a hotel, shopping centre and other leisure facilities, will be completed within two years over 40 hectares in the city of Tozeur -- Tunisia's main tourism destination at the gate of its desert Sahara south, he added.
Tourism is Tunisia's top foreign currency earner and its biggest employer after farming.
The government in the North African country is striving to diversify tourism away from its Mediterranean coast into southern areas in the hope of luring more high spending holidaymakers from Arab Gulf countries.
Qatari Diar, which counts London's Chelsea Barracks among its most high-profile overseas assets, holds a 45 per cent stake in Qatar's Barwa Real Estate company.
It has more than 80 projects worldwide worth about $60 billion. – Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Asian skyscraper prices tower over rest of the world
- Tamleek opens new office in Dubai
- $29m allocated for Bahrain drainage projects
- Indian group plans $300m Bahrain Bay investment
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings