Nakheel restructuring by year-end: Lootah
Dubai, October 3, 2010
Nakheel Development Ltd, the property arm of state-owned conglomerate Dubai World, is confident that it will complete its debt restructuring by the end of the year, the company's chairman said on Sunday.
Nakheel chairman Ali Rashid Lootah told reporters that a "good percentage" of banks have agreed to the restructuring.
The comments affirmed the time-frame for completion of the deal that Nakheel chief executive Chris O'Connell gave in late September.
Nakheel has said it has about 85 percent of acceptances, by value, for its debt restructuring and was "well on target to achieve its 95 percent acceptance of all payables and claims within the near future".
Lootah added that the developer is in preliminary talks for listing an Islamic bond, or sukuk, on Nasdaq Dubai. Under Nakheel's restructuring plan, trade creditors have been offered 40 percent of what they are owed in cash and the remaining 60 percent through a sukuk Islamic bond.
Nakheel plans to issue a 6 billion dirham ($1.63 billion) Islamic bond as part of its debt repayment plan as it restarts several key projects.
Nakheel has already repaid trade creditors 3.4 billion dirhams ($925.9 million) as part of the plan, the company reported on Thursday. - Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan