Union Properties Q1 profit up 66pc
Dubai, May 3, 2010
Dubai-based developer Union Properties has reported a 66 per cent rise in first-quarter profit, attributing the increase to handing over units in its Motor City development.
The real estate firm reported a net profit of Dh50 million ($13.62 million) in the three months to March 31, it said in a statement, compared with a net profit of Dh30.13 million in the same period last year.
Investment bank EFG-Hermes forecast the developer would make a quarterly net profit of Dh30 million.
Union Properties' first-quarter revenues were Dh846 million, a 48 per cent increase over the Dh572 million it reported for the same period last year.
The company took provisions of Dh70 million to cover losses on the value of investment properties, it said. Gross operating profit stood at Dh179 million for the quarter.
Shares of the developer, which is hoping to sell its Ritz Carlton hotel in Dubai for about Dh1.5 billion, ended 5.8 per cent higher. Its chairman, Khalid bin Kalban, told Reuters in March, it had received 'negotiable' offers for the hotel.
He told papers in the United Arab Emirates the same month the firm would be willing to sell any of its projects if it received a fair price.
Earlier in the day, Union Properties said its shareholders approved the extension of its Dh405 million bridge-loan facility, provided by Emirates NBD to March 31, 2014.
The company's shareholders also approved the extension of maturity of a 2.1 billion dirham and a $188.4 million syndicated loan facility to Dec 31, 2013, it said in a statement to the bourse.
Property firms in Dubai have been hit hard by the global downturn, which sent prices in the emirate's once-booming real estate tumbling some 60 per cent from their peaks in 2008.
Union Properties suffered a loss of Dh148 million in the fourth quarter. – Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan
- Cluttons Dubai launches new luxury apartments
- Dubai developer Damac profits triple to $641m
- Dubai to start work on $544m water canal
- Dubai property market can absorb 25,000 units
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- Aldar raises synergy estimate from Sorouh merger
- UAE industrial property sector keeps up growth
- Dubai residential property prices up 26pc
- Majid Al Futtaim to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- 300 firms to take part in Dubai property forum
- Naseej inks deal to develop Bahrain projects
- Dadabhai unveils new residential project
- Flowcrete completes Dubai Mall project
- Global asphalt demand hits new high
- $1.3bn infrastructure investment firm set up in Saudi
- Manara sees big project villa success
- Global giants eye RAK utility projects
- Cayan partners with international artist Zsuzsanna
- Samsung, Hyundai win $1.7bn Iraq deals