Arabtec sees 2008 profit soar to $272m
Dubai, December 24, 2008
Dubai-based construction firm Arabtec Holding expects to post profit of "just over Dh1 billion ($272.3 million) and plans to issue bonus shares to boost liquidity, newspapers reported on Wednesday.
The profit forecast of Arabtec's chief financial officer, cited by daily Gulf News, would be at least 87 per cent above the Dh535.19 million of net profit Arabtec made in 2007, according to Reuters calculations.
Arabtec shareholders also approved a plan to issue one bonus share for ever share held, Ziad Makhzoumi said after an extraordinary general meeting on Tuesday, according to Gulf News.
Arabtec chairman Riad Kamal said the firm had decided not to pay a dividend to shareholders this year and would instead issue bonus shares to increase its capital, thereby reducing its reliance on bank loans during a credit crunch.
"We issued the bonus shares to give us a more solid financial base for current and future commitments," Kamal was quoted as saying by The National.
The capital increase would be used "either for investments or if there are any delays in receiving payments, then you can use your own cash to ensure you don't delay payments to subcontractors and suppliers", he said.
Shares of Arabtec tumbled 9.93 per cent on Tuesday and are down almost 60 percent this year.
The firm made profit of Dh760.19 million in the first nine months of the year, indicating its fourth-quarter profit would be at least Dh239.81 million, up about 25 percent from the year-earlier period.-Reuters
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed