HSBC names new Mena equity head
Dubai, September 24, 2013
HSBC Holdings has appointed Samer Deghaili as the new head of its equity capital markets business in the Middle East and North Africa.
Deghaili replaces Michael Bevan, who will head coverage of Asian sovereign wealth funds in HSBC's Hong Kong headquarters.
In his new role, Deghaili will report to Adrian Lewis, the head of EMEA equity capital markets, and regionally to Georges Elhedery, head of markets and capital financing for Mena region.
Equity capital markets activity in the Gulf region is showing signs of recovery as financial markets and valuations pick up after years of sluggish activity. Bankers in the region say more companies have been making initial enquiries about IPOs and secondary share offerings.
Dubai is among the best performing equity markets this year with its benchmark index up 65 per cent year-to-date.
HSBC revamped its global investment banking operations in July, separating responsibilities for products and client coverage in a bid to drive business growth.
The lender named Mohammed al-Tuwaijri as chief executive of the Mena region, replacing Simon Cooper, who was appointed head of the bank's commercial banking arm.-Reuters
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Kuwait GDP growth to hit 3.5pc in 2014
- Gulf shares tumble over EM exposure cut
- GCC bonds to gain from macro-economic climate
- French Business Council Dubai members up 18pc
- Egypt economy growth seen less strong than thought
- Sharjah approves $4.2bn budget for 2014
- Saudi non-oil sector posts solid growth in Feb
- Seera total income rises to $34m
- NBAD approves 40pc cash dividends
- NBAD sees 8-10pc loan growth
- Al Basel Group launches investment arm
- Union Insurance posts $18m profit
- Oman warns banks on conflicts of interest
- Japan to lend Tunisia $480m
- 400 to join anti-laundering seminar in Riyadh
- Lebanese insurer to head Prague Club
- UAE's first REIT plans $135m IPO
- Bahrain banking industry outlook 'positive'
- New India Assurance opens Bahrain branch
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award