Dar Al Arkan raises $450m from sukuk sale
Riyadh, May 22, 2013
Saudi Arabia's Dar Al Arkan Real Estate Development Company has announced the launch of a SR2.8 billion ($750 million) International Islamic Sukuk Programme, in multiple tranches over a twelve month period.
The order book for the first tranche was opened on May 20 and closed the next day afternoon, the company said in a statement posted on the website of the Saudi bourse.
Bahrain-based Bank Alkhair jointly led the sukuk programme, which is based on the Islamic Wakala structure along with Deustche Bank, Goldman Sachs and Emirates NBD Capital as bookrunners.
The first tranche received significant interest from international and regional market participants with oversubscription of more than 3.7 times of the amount issued, with overall order book crossing the SR6 billion, the statement added.
Commenting on the demand, Sheikh Yousef Al-Shelash, the chairman of Dar Al-Arkan said, "The success of this sukuk issue, given the continued adverse global economic climate, is a testament to investor confidence in the company’s solid business model and Saudi Arabia’s robust economy."
The successful closing of the first tranche concluded with an amount issued of SR1.69 billion ($450 million), at a profit rate of 5.75 per cent per annum, and maturing in 5 years on May 24, 2018.
The programme was established to fund Dar Al Arkan’s current and upcoming projects. Bank Alkhair also acted as the Shariah advisor of the programme.
Commenting on the successful closing, Ikbal Daredia, the head of Bank Alkhair’s global capital markets division, said: "We are pleased at the positive response we received from the international financial community. The oversubscription of the issue demonstrates increasing investor appetite for Sukuk and for quality issuers like Dar Al Arkan."
Standard & Poor's ratings service is expected to assign a rating of 'B+' to the issue. S&P’s recently affirmed Dar Al-Arkan’s B+ credit rating and revised its outlook to positive from stable due to the Company’s resilient operating performance.
The sukuk, which was issued through the Dar Al-Arkan Sukuk Company, marks the Saudi firm's fourth international sukuk issue.-TradeArabia News Service
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Bahrain firms plan IPOs
- Serbia wins $1bn Abu Dhabi loan
- Key equity banker resigns from Saudi Fransi
- DMCC to boost Islamic commodity trade with tie-ups
- IDB, KIA units to invest in Morocco
- First Gulf to set up $1bn sukuk in Malaysia
- Singapore’s UOB Bullion and Futures joins DGCX
- Infrastructure investment ‘key to growth’
- BKIC declares 30pc dividend
- StanChart profit falls 16pc in 2013
- Veteran Saudi banker to head AMF
- Dubai World prepays $284m to creditors
- EFG-Hermes sells Damas stake to Mannai
- Ultra rich number to grow 35pc in Mideast
- Saudi IPO market 'set for big year'
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Bahrain Bourse wins key UK award
- Alba backs Euromoney forum
- URC bond rating upgraded to stable outlook
- GCC urged to set up onshore financial centres
- Consolidation push paying off for Bahrain banks
- Mubadala to focus more on US, Europe
- Six banks join plan for shared customer data register
- UAE economy grows 4pc in 2013
- Egypt foreign reserves up to $17.3bn
- StanChart opens second branch in Iraq
- Oil below $90 to hit GCC economies
- Payfort offers zero deposit scheme to SMEs
- In a first, NCB Capital names female CEO
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals