UGB net gains hit $6.5m in Q1
Manama, May 15, 2013
Bahrain-based United Gulf Bank (UGB) earned a net profit attributable to the shareholders of $6.5 million for the first quarter of this year, compared with $9.1 million in the first three months of 2012.
On a recurring revenue basis, however, UGB revenues and profitability increased as the first quarter 2012 net profit included an exceptional gain recorded by one of UGB's associates on the sale of property in Lebanon, reported the Gulf Daily News, our sister publication..
UGB also managed to reduce operating expenses by 15 per cent from $7.6 million to $6.5 million and interest expense by 40 per cent from $13.3 million to $8 million.
UGB's total assets stood at $1.2 billion, which is slightly higher by 2.9 per cent from $1.23 billion recorded at the end of 2012.
Total equity increased by 1.3 per cent to $484.5 million and a capital adequacy ratio of 23 per cent was maintained.
This is well above the Central Bank of Bahrain's minimum level of 12.5 per cent.
"The first quarter results are in line with our expectations even though profit is lower compared with the first quarter of 2012 and recurring revenues have increased," said chairman Masaud Hayat.
"The strict financial discipline and our focus on core assets implemented last year have begun to bear the required results," he added.-TradeArabioa News Service
Tags: United Gulf Bank |
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award
- Qatar labour costs may jump: IMF
- Kuwait Q3 trade surplus hits $23bn
- Dubai trade growth up 7.6pc to $362bn
- Deloitte appoints new managing director
- Al Ramz tops UAE trading in Feb
- IFC in $150m loan deal with Bank Audi
- SME funding focus for Abu Dhabi forum
- Insurance House posts second year of profit
- ETF global assets hit record $2.44 trillion
- Bahrain firms plan IPOs
- Serbia wins $1bn Abu Dhabi loan
- Key equity banker resigns from Saudi Fransi
- DMCC to boost Islamic commodity trade with tie-ups
- IDB, KIA units to invest in Morocco
- First Gulf to set up $1bn sukuk in Malaysia
- Singapore’s UOB Bullion and Futures joins DGCX
- Infrastructure investment ‘key to growth’
- BKIC declares 30pc dividend
- StanChart profit falls 16pc in 2013