SABB net profit surges 11pc in Q1
Riyadh, April 9, 2013
Saudi British Bank (SABB), an associated company of the HSBC Group, has registered a net profit of SR948 million ($252.7 million) for the first quarter, up 11 per cent compared to SR854 million last year.
The Saudi bank posted an increase of SR94 million in its first quarter profit for the year.
The lender posted a 16.2 per cent jump in its profit compared to the last quarter's profit of SR815 million, thus registering an increase of SR133 million.
SABB's operating income grew 16.4 per cent to hit SR1.43 billion for the quarter thus netting an increase of SR203 million compared to SR1.23 billion last year.
The bank's customer deposits also registered solid growth to hit SR122.1 billion for the quarter, thus posting an increase of 9.4 per cent (or SR10.5 billion) compared to SR111.6 billion last year.
The loans and advances to customers surged 11 per cent to hit SR101.2 billion compared to SR91.2 billion in 2012. The bank’s investment portfolio totalled SR32.4 billion, ths posting an increase of 37.4 per cent compared to SR23.6 billion last year.
Commenting on the results, chairman Sheikh Khaled Olayan said, "SABB's strategy of diversifying its income streams, effective cost control and ongoing emphasis on booking quality business at acceptable margins while maintaining strong capital and liquidity ratios has enabled the bank to record a good financial performance for the quarter ended March 31.”
The Saudi lender's total assets ballooned to SR158.8 billion, up 10.2 per cent compared to SR144 billion last year. The bank's earning per share stood at SR0.95 against SR0.85 for the corresponding quarter of the previous year, he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- New India Assurance opens Bahrain branch
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award
- Qatar labour costs may jump: IMF
- Kuwait Q3 trade surplus hits $23bn
- Dubai trade growth up 7.6pc to $362bn
- Deloitte appoints new managing director
- Al Ramz tops UAE trading in Feb
- IFC in $150m loan deal with Bank Audi
- SME funding focus for Abu Dhabi forum
- Insurance House posts second year of profit
- ETF global assets hit record $2.44 trillion
- Bahrain firms plan IPOs
- Serbia wins $1bn Abu Dhabi loan
- Key equity banker resigns from Saudi Fransi
- DMCC to boost Islamic commodity trade with tie-ups
- IDB, KIA units to invest in Morocco
- First Gulf to set up $1bn sukuk in Malaysia
- Singapore’s UOB Bullion and Futures joins DGCX
- Infrastructure investment ‘key to growth’
- BKIC declares 30pc dividend