Kuwait's Global posts $192m net loss
Kuwait, April 8, 2013
Kuwait's Global Investment House, which has agreed with creditors to restructure $1.7 billion of debt, posted a net loss of KD55 million ($192.8 million) in 2012 compared to a loss of KD57.5 million the year before.
One of the largest investment houses in Kuwait, Global Investment House saw its 2012 net loss little changed from the previous year as shareholders' equity dropped sharply.
It is the fourth straight year that Global has reported an annual net loss, having lost KD73.2 million in 2010 and KD148.2 million in 2009. The company was hit hard by weak financial markets in the wake of the global credit crisis.
The total shareholders' equity at the end of 2012 was a negative 35 million dinars, compared to a positive 18 million dinars in 2011, the firm said in a bourse filing on Monday.
Global will delist from Kuwait's stock exchange on June 19. Trading in its shares was suspended late last year after the group accumulated losses exceeding 75 per cent of its capital.ž
The company said last December that it planned to create two special purpose vehicles (SPVs) as part of its restructuring, one of which would hold company assets along with debt worth $1.3 billion.
The other SPV would take part in a capital increase for the parent company; Global would offer KD122.2 million of new shares to creditors, leaving them owning 70 per cent of the investment firm.-Reuters
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award
- Qatar labour costs may jump: IMF
- Kuwait Q3 trade surplus hits $23bn
- Dubai trade growth up 7.6pc to $362bn
- Deloitte appoints new managing director
- Al Ramz tops UAE trading in Feb
- IFC in $150m loan deal with Bank Audi
- SME funding focus for Abu Dhabi forum
- Insurance House posts second year of profit
- ETF global assets hit record $2.44 trillion
- Bahrain firms plan IPOs
- Serbia wins $1bn Abu Dhabi loan
- Key equity banker resigns from Saudi Fransi
- DMCC to boost Islamic commodity trade with tie-ups
- IDB, KIA units to invest in Morocco
- First Gulf to set up $1bn sukuk in Malaysia
- Singapore’s UOB Bullion and Futures joins DGCX
- Infrastructure investment ‘key to growth’
- BKIC declares 30pc dividend
- StanChart profit falls 16pc in 2013