Bahrain National eyes stake in top insurance firm
Manama, March 28, 2013
Bahrain National Holding (BNH), the parent company of Bahrain National Insurance and Bahrain National Life Assurance, is looking to acquire stake in a major regional insurance firm, the company's chairman said.
"The firm, whose name I'm not at liberty to disclose, is keen to sell and we are keen to buy," chairman Farouk Almoayyed told our sister publication the Gulf Daily News on the sidelines of the company's annual general meeting yesterday.
"The year 2012 proved to be a challenging one given the uncertainties in the global economic conditions.
"The group has undertaken a number of initiatives in various operational and strategic areas which should have a positive impact on the group in the future," he said.
The shareholders of the company approved the distribution of 15 per cent cash dividend, paid at 15 fils per share.
The group registered a net profit of BD2.33 million ($6.14 million) for last year. Shareholders equity was BD42.86 million and the average return on equity was 5.4 per cent.
For the fourth quarter of last year, the group posted a net profit of BD1.76 million compared with BD1.81 million for the same period in 2011.
"Given the challenging economic conditions and the intense competition in 2012, our group has posted commendable results," BNH chief executive Mahmood Al Soufi said.
"Gross premiums increased by 6.3 per cent and our investment portfolio performed well last year.
"Our diversified and fairly liquid portfolio is a key competitive strength. We are pleased to report a comprehensive income of BD2.84 million, a growth of 25.6 per cent over 2011," he added. – TradeArabia News Service
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- New India Assurance opens Bahrain branch
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award
- Qatar labour costs may jump: IMF
- Kuwait Q3 trade surplus hits $23bn
- Dubai trade growth up 7.6pc to $362bn
- Deloitte appoints new managing director
- Al Ramz tops UAE trading in Feb
- IFC in $150m loan deal with Bank Audi
- SME funding focus for Abu Dhabi forum
- Insurance House posts second year of profit
- ETF global assets hit record $2.44 trillion
- Bahrain firms plan IPOs
- Serbia wins $1bn Abu Dhabi loan
- Key equity banker resigns from Saudi Fransi
- DMCC to boost Islamic commodity trade with tie-ups
- IDB, KIA units to invest in Morocco
- First Gulf to set up $1bn sukuk in Malaysia
- Singapore’s UOB Bullion and Futures joins DGCX
- Infrastructure investment ‘key to growth’
- BKIC declares 30pc dividend