Emirates NBD introduces Yuan accounts
Dubai, February 6, 2013
Emirates NBD, a leading bank in the region, has announced the launch of CNY (Chinese Yuan Renminbi) currency-denominated account products that include current accounts, call accounts and fixed deposits.
The new products are expected to support SME customers with existing China affiliations to conduct easy trade settlements, provide them with an option of holding their balances in CNY currency, and hedge their currency risks.
The new products can also be used by investors, both of Chinese origin and from other nationalities, to explore investment related opportunities in Chinese Yuan Renminbi, said a statement from Emirates NBD.
The CNY currency-denominated products follows from the significant growth in bilateral trade between China and the UAE, which increased fivefold over the past 10 years to touch $15.6 billion in 2012 from only $3.12 billion in 2002, according to a study by the UAE Ministry of Foreign Trade (MOFT).
“The enormous increase in UAE’s bilateral trade with China and the resultant fast growing Chinese-related business and resident population in the country, have turned the focus significantly on the world’s second largest economy,” explained Suvo Sarkar, the general manager – Retail Banking, Emirates NBD.
“Our market research indicates that this is the opportune time to introduce CNY currency-denominated liabilities products, as these will enable Emirates NBD to assist China affiliated traders and individuals to manage their CNY requirements and better leverage emerging market opportunities,” he stated.
For SME customers, Emirates NBD’s new CNY currency-denominated Current Account and Call account are non-interest bearing accountsthat allow remittances from SMEs and non-individual customers through branches.
Emirates NBD’s SME customers can strengthen their business ties internationally with the facility to bank in one of the world’s most popular currencies, and carry out their daily banking in CNY while still enjoying the features and benefits of an Emirates NBD account.
For Individual customers, the CNY Current account and Fixed deposit provide ideal solutions to transact and build savings in CNY in the medium to long term.
The fixed deposit scheme is being offered to both individuals and non-individuals, and can be availed for tenors of 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months or a year.
“The CNY currency-denominated accountproducts will also enable affluent investors to diversify their currency portfolio and participate in the attractive China story by investing in a wide range of CNY denominated investments,” added Sarkar.-TradeArabia News Service
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Al Ramz tops UAE trading in Feb
- IFC in $150m loan deal with Bank Audi
- SME funding focus for Abu Dhabi forum
- Insurance House posts second year of profit
- ETF global assets hit record $2.44 trillion
- Bahrain firms plan IPOs
- Serbia wins $1bn Abu Dhabi loan
- Key equity banker resigns from Saudi Fransi
- DMCC to boost Islamic commodity trade with tie-ups
- IDB, KIA units to invest in Morocco
- First Gulf to set up $1bn sukuk in Malaysia
- Singapore’s UOB Bullion and Futures joins DGCX
- Infrastructure investment ‘key to growth’
- BKIC declares 30pc dividend
- StanChart profit falls 16pc in 2013
- Veteran Saudi banker to head AMF
- Dubai World prepays $284m to creditors
- EFG-Hermes sells Damas stake to Mannai
- Ultra rich number to grow 35pc in Mideast
- Saudi IPO market 'set for big year'
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Bahrain Bourse wins key UK award
- Alba backs Euromoney forum
- URC bond rating upgraded to stable outlook
- GCC urged to set up onshore financial centres
- Consolidation push paying off for Bahrain banks
- Mubadala to focus more on US, Europe
- Six banks join plan for shared customer data register
- UAE economy grows 4pc in 2013
- Egypt foreign reserves up to $17.3bn