MasterCard launches first MyCard in ME
Manama, December 16, 2012
MasterCard, the global payments and technology company has launched ‘My Card’, the world’s first MasterCard Platinum Prepaid Travel Card in the Middle East.
My Card, which is also Middle East and Africa’s (MEA) first multi-currency prepaid travel card, has been introduced in collaboration with Al Baraka Islamic Bank and Nonoo Exchange Company in Bahrain.
With it, consumers can now load up to five foreign currencies that include the US Dollar, Great Britain Pound, Euro, Emirati Dirham and the Bahraini Dinar, a statement from MasterCard said.
One of the major concerns for consumers while traveling overseas is the inconsistency in the exchange rate offered by various financial institutions. However, as My Card is offered in foreign currencies, no currency fluctuation will be experienced by consumers as the exchange rate is guaranteed at the time of card purchase thereby giving cardholders complete control over their finances.
Furthermore, no additional exchange fee during transaction will be levied if cardholders spend in the currency of the card and no mark ups will also be charged on exchange between the five currencies, the statement said.
Kashif Sohail, market manager, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Pakistan and Emerging Markets, MasterCard Worldwide, said: “Over the years, prepaid products have become immensely popular with consumers in the MEA region as they have been experiencing the multiple benefits of using this payment solution, especially while traveling overseas.”
“The region’s fast emerging affluent segment is a key target for the expansion of prepaid solutions; however it is only prudent to develop products that specifically address the requirements of this niche consumer.”
“My Card is a unique solution that offers the convenience and security of a prepaid card along with rewards and privileges that are usually not associated with similar products,” he said.
In addition to a host of benefits for managing multiple currencies with one prepaid card, the cardholders will also enjoy global acceptance through 34.4 million outlets and 1.9 million ATMs, wherever the MasterCard and Maestro logos are applied. Cardholders can also use My Card to shop online, purchase in stores and withdraw cash.
With an objective to match the discerning lifestyle of the affluent consumer, My Card also offers privileged access to events, destinations, merchant funded discounts, shopping privileges, personal protection and other unique experiences, the statement said.
Consumers can purchase and recharge their My Card MasterCard Platinum Prepaid Travel Cards from all Al Baraka Islamic Bank and Nanoo Exchange Company branches in Bahrain. – TradeArabia News Service
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Kuwait GDP growth to hit 3.5pc in 2014
- Gulf shares tumble over EM exposure cut
- GCC bonds to gain from macro-economic climate
- French Business Council Dubai members up 18pc
- Egypt economy growth seen less strong than thought
- Sharjah approves $4.2bn budget for 2014
- Saudi non-oil sector posts solid growth in Feb
- Seera total income rises to $34m
- NBAD approves 40pc cash dividends
- NBAD sees 8-10pc loan growth
- Al Basel Group launches investment arm
- Union Insurance posts $18m profit
- Oman warns banks on conflicts of interest
- Japan to lend Tunisia $480m
- 400 to join anti-laundering seminar in Riyadh
- Lebanese insurer to head Prague Club
- UAE's first REIT plans $135m IPO
- Bahrain banking industry outlook 'positive'
- New India Assurance opens Bahrain branch
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award