Bahrain economy recovers in Q3
Manama, December 4, 2012
Bahrain's economic growth picked up again in the third quarter of 2012 after shrinking in April-June and its statistics office expects the small oil producer to recover further from the impact of social unrest, state news agency BNA said on Tuesday.
Gross domestic product, adjusted for inflation, grew 0.7 percent quarter-on-quarter in July-September, BNA quoted Mohammed Al-Amer, Central Informatics Organisation's head, as saying.
That compares to a 1.3 percent drop in the second quarter, which was the first quarterly decline since a 6.6 percent slump in the first three months of 2011.
On an annual basis, Bahrain's real GDP - despite ongoing political turmoil weighing on the regional financial hub -expanded 3.1 percent in the third quarter, a slowdown from a 4.3 percent growth in the previous three months.
Al-Amer said that the annual GDP rise was mainly due to non-oil economic activities, which grew 5.9 percent in constant prices in the third quarter, although construction and real estate still expanded at lower single digit rates.
Output in the hydrocarbon sector, which accounts for almost a third of Bahrain's $29 billion economy, fell 7.1 percent year-on-year due to a roughly 10 percent decline in crude production from the Abu Safa field, he said.
The non-Opec crude producer relies on output from the Abu Safa oil field it shares with Saudi Arabia for some 70 percent of its budget revenue.
Analysts polled by Reuters in September forecast the kingdom's real GDP growth to accelerate to 2.8 percent in 2012 from 1.9 percent in 2011, when it was hit by its worst unrest since 1990s. - Reuters
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Union Insurance posts $18m profit
- Oman warns banks on conflicts Of interest
- Japan to lend Tunisia $480m
- 400 to join anti-laundering seminar in Riyadh
- Lebanese insurer to head Prague Club
- UAE's first REIT plans $135m IPO
- Bahrain banking industry outlook 'positive'
- New India Assurance opens Bahrain branch
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award
- Qatar labour costs may jump: IMF
- Kuwait Q3 trade surplus hits $23bn
- Dubai trade growth up 7.6pc to $362bn
- Deloitte appoints new managing director
- Al Ramz tops UAE trading in Feb
- IFC in $150m loan deal with Bank Audi
- SME funding focus for Abu Dhabi forum
- Insurance House posts second year of profit
- ETF global assets hit record $2.44 trillion
- Bahrain firms plan IPOs
- Serbia wins $1bn Abu Dhabi loan