Mena IPOs hit record $1.29bn in Q2
Dubai, July 31, 2012
The companies in the Middle East region raised a total of $1.29 billion through five initial public offerings (IPOs) in the second quarter of 2012, up 344 per cent when compared to the same period last year, said a report.
This is almost three and a half times more than the $374.77 million raised in the second quarter of 2011 and 15.46 times more than the $82.8 million raised in the first quarter of this year, according to the Ernst & Young’s Mena Q2 2012 IPO update.
A total of $1.37 billion was raised in the IPO markets by regional companies in the first six months as compared to $396.47 million in the first half of 2011- a growth of approximately 3.5 times.
Saudi Arabia’s Al Tayyar Travel Group led regional IPO deal sizes with its $364.65 million listing on the Tadawul, followed by Saudi Airlines Catering’s $354.09 million and the Kingdom’s Najran Cement Company’s $226.58 million IPO, also listed on the Tadawul.
UAE-based NMC Healthcare that listed on the London Stock Exchange in April, came in at fourth position with a $187 million IPO followed by Oman’s Bank Nizwa which raised $158.49 million and listed on the Muscat Stock Market.
Phil Gandier, the Mena head of Transaction Advisory Services, E&Y said, 'The sudden spike in IPO activity in the second quarter was an exceptional event within a consistently depressed Mena IPO market. There were only four IPOs in the second quarter whose ticket sizes made the difference while most country markets remain slow.'
'The summer period is traditionally quiet so the third quarter will most probably bring these levels down again,' he remarked.
'Equally, the Bank Nizwa IPO was a result of the regulatory changes in Oman’s banking sector which has recently approved Islamic banking, while the NMC Healthcare listing did not raise funds in the region, but in London. We expect the Saudi market to continue listing a steady but modest flow of new companies during the remainder of 2012,' Gandier added.
According to him, the global IPO activity saw an improvement in the second quarter. 'So far this quarter, a total of 206 deals has raised $41.8 billion, an increase of 5 per cent by deal numbers and 141 per cent higher by capital raised compared to the first quarter $17.4 billion,' he stated.-TradeArabia News Service
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Egypt economy growth seen less strong than thought
- Sharjah approves $4.2bn budget for 2014
- Saudi non-oil sector posts solid growth in Feb
- Seera total income rises to $34m
- NBAD approves 40pc cash dividends
- NBAD sees 8-10pc loan growth
- Al Basel Group launches investment arm
- Union Insurance posts $18m profit
- Oman warns banks on conflicts of interest
- Japan to lend Tunisia $480m
- 400 to join anti-laundering seminar in Riyadh
- Lebanese insurer to head Prague Club
- UAE's first REIT plans $135m IPO
- Bahrain banking industry outlook 'positive'
- New India Assurance opens Bahrain branch
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award
- Qatar labour costs may jump: IMF
- Kuwait Q3 trade surplus hits $23bn
- Dubai trade growth up 7.6pc to $362bn
- Deloitte appoints new managing director