Qatari royals, Luxembourg to buy Dexia unit
Brussels, December 20, 2011
Qatar's royal family and Luxembourg are to buy Dexia's private banking arm Banque Internationale Luxembourg for 730 million euros ($950 million), as part of the Franco-Belgian group's bailout plan.
'Precision Capital, a Qatari investment group, will acquire 90 percent of the stake, the remaining 10 percent will be acquired by the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg,' Dexia said on Tuesday.
Luxembourg-based Precision Capital, owned by members of Qatar's Al-Thani royal family, has previously invested in European banks, among them British lender Barclays in an emergency fundraising three years ago.
In October, Morgan Stanley estimated the value of BIL at 1.0-1.7 billion euros.
BIL's stakes in Dexia Asset Management Luxembourg and RBC Dexia Investor Services will be sold separately. Its portfolio of legacy securities and stakes in Dexia LDG Banque and Parfipar will be transferred to Dexia.
Dexia was bailed out by Belgium, France and Luxembourg in October. -Reuters
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Al Ramz tops UAE trading in Feb
- IFC in $150m loan deal with Bank Audi
- SME funding focus for Abu Dhabi forum
- Insurance House posts second year of profit
- ETF global assets hit record $2.44 trillion
- Bahrain firms plan IPOs
- Serbia wins $1bn Abu Dhabi loan
- Key equity banker resigns from Saudi Fransi
- DMCC to boost Islamic commodity trade with tie-ups
- IDB, KIA units to invest in Morocco
- First Gulf to set up $1bn sukuk in Malaysia
- Singapore’s UOB Bullion and Futures joins DGCX
- Infrastructure investment ‘key to growth’
- BKIC declares 30pc dividend
- StanChart profit falls 16pc in 2013
- Veteran Saudi banker to head AMF
- Dubai World prepays $284m to creditors
- EFG-Hermes sells Damas stake to Mannai
- Ultra rich number to grow 35pc in Mideast
- Saudi IPO market 'set for big year'
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Bahrain Bourse wins key UK award
- Alba backs Euromoney forum
- URC bond rating upgraded to stable outlook
- GCC urged to set up onshore financial centres
- Consolidation push paying off for Bahrain banks
- Mubadala to focus more on US, Europe
- Six banks join plan for shared customer data register
- UAE economy grows 4pc in 2013
- Egypt foreign reserves up to $17.3bn