Zurich Insurance wins newcomer award
Dubai, January 20, 2011
Zurich Insurance Company (ZIC) in the Middle East has been named “Newcomer of the Year” by the Mena Insurance Awards, one of the industry’s top honours in the region.
The award recognizes insurers who have made a notable contribution to the industry in the previous 12 months. ZIC was also shortlisted for “Corporate Financial Lines Insurer of the Year” and “Insurer of the Year”.
“To be chosen as ‘Newcomer of the Year’ following what has been a challenging economic climate, is testament to our commitment to the region,” said Saad Mered, CEO of ZIC Middle East & Africa.
“We have worked hard over the past 18 months to ensure that we can draw upon Zurich’s technical expertise and significant capacity to deliver tailored underwriting solutions and responsive local service to our customers. We have built a dedicated team of professionals to ensure that we are well equipped to strengthen and further develop our regional capabilities,” he added.
ZIC was granted a license to operate in the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) in June 2009. It then launched its global corporate division in October of that year and subsequently expanded its regional footprint last January by securing its license to provide general insurance in Bahrain.
In December 2010, ZIC acquired 99.99 per cent of Lebanese insurer Compagnie Libanaise d’Assurance, headquartered in Beirut with branch operations in the UAE, Kuwait, Oman and Lebanon.
Since June 2009, the ZIC team grew from one to 38 highly qualified professionals based in the region with the global corporate team in the region acquiring over 250 customers and writing more than 350 policies in 24 countries in the Middle East, North Africa and Central Asia.
The Mena Insurance Awards are judged using qualitative and quantitative techniques, drawing on an external panel of industry experts, the Mena Insurance Review editorial team and Pageant Media editorial director. – TradeArabia News Service
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Lebanese insurer to head Prague Club
- UAE's first REIT plans $135m IPO
- Bahrain banking industry outlook 'positive'
- New India Assurance opens Bahrain branch
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award
- Qatar labour costs may jump: IMF
- Kuwait Q3 trade surplus hits $23bn
- Dubai trade growth up 7.6pc to $362bn
- Deloitte appoints new managing director
- Al Ramz tops UAE trading in Feb
- IFC in $150m loan deal with Bank Audi
- SME funding focus for Abu Dhabi forum
- Insurance House posts second year of profit
- ETF global assets hit record $2.44 trillion
- Bahrain firms plan IPOs
- Serbia wins $1bn Abu Dhabi loan
- Key equity banker resigns from Saudi Fransi
- DMCC to boost Islamic commodity trade with tie-ups
- IDB, KIA units to invest in Morocco
- First Gulf to set up $1bn sukuk in Malaysia